Monday, March 22, 2010

9 months!

It has been 9 months since I first started the application process and 4 months since I received medical clearance. And not a peep out of placement in all this time. No emails, no phone calls, not even a mass email saying "it'll be X weeks until we get to your file... wait in line yada yada" NOTHING. I am aware the process takes time, but goodness it is difficult just waiting for placement to get to my file. I think this is the hardest part of the process by far! I got medically cleared quickly and I highly doubt I'll be that lucky again and get invited quickly. I'm guessing that I will have a few more months of silence since I am not slated to leave until September (which is only 6 months away).


While I wait to hear from Placement I thought I'd talk a little bit about why I want to join Peace Corps. Here are my biggest reasons:

1) I strongly believe in service to others. I first started volunteering when I was about 13. That's pretty young, but I was a very independent child. I used to ride the public bus a few miles downtown and volunteer as an usher for a performance arts theater. I had to wear a very silly bow tie and vest, but I loved it. I enjoyed being immersed in the arts and getting to see performances for free was a major bonus.

2) I enjoy learning about other cultures. PC would give me an opportunity to get fully immersed- to learn the language and work with individuals at their level. PC offers the ability for cultural exchange unlike other service organizations.

3) I want a career in international health. While I have skills in public health education and disease surveillance, I do not have the international public health experience that PC can offer. I'd love to eventually work at the CDC or USAID and many of their staff members are RPCV's.

No comments:

Post a Comment