Tuesday, July 23, 2013

RPCV

I'm now officially an RPCV-- Returned Peace Corps Volunteer!! I was blessed with a few really great options and I chose the one that felt like it would be the best fit. So....I'm now living and working in Yaounde, Cameroon. After 2 years, countless frustrations and many brilliantly happy moments, I still haven't gotten enough. I guess Africa really sunk it's teeth in.  I get to live my dream and work in a field that I'm passionate about (Malaria prevention) and for a company that I believe in. Couldn't be any luckier.

Guess I'm actually an NRPCV- Never Returned Peace Corps Volunteer.

In addition to the genius that is http://whatshouldrpcvscallme.tumblr.com/  I found this out there on the intertubes. It's pretty on point for the most part, I think.

15 Symptoms of Chronic Peace Corps Withdrawal:

1. Guilty feelings about your indulgent lifestyle.
2. Salivating when you hear poly-rhythmic music.
3. Decorating more than 2 rooms of your house with host country memorabilia.
4. The desire to do everything outdoors.
5. Confusion between "immediately" and "by next week".
6. Greetings exceeding three sentences or eight seconds.
7. Making deprecating comments about American beer.
8. Subscribing to magazine normally found only in libraries.
9. Anxiety induced insomnia from lack of mosquito net in bedroom.
10. A fixation with ethnic restaurants.
11. Feeling nostalgic when your commuter bus is filled to over capacity.
12. Involuntarily using foreign swear words and interjections.
13. The inability to use the left hand when making cash transactions.
14. Reaching for the pepper before the salt.
15. Considering yourself better informed about third world countries than top level state department officials.

No comments:

Post a Comment